- English Name : Spikenard
- Local Name (Nepali Name)) : Jatamansi
- BotanicalName : Nardostachys jatamansi DC
- Family Name : Valerian
- Season : Sep - Dec
- Parts Used : Rhizomes
Spikenard is a flowering plant of the valerian family that grows in the Himalayas of Nepal. The plant grows to about 1 meter in height and has pink, bell-shaped flowers. It is found in the altitude of about 3,000 to 5,000 m. Rhizomes (underground stems) can be crushed and distilled into an intensely aromatic amber or greenish blue-colored essential oil.
Physical and Chemical Properties
- Appearance : Fluid to slightly viscous liquid.
- Aroma : Heavy, sweet woody and spicy-animal odor.
- Flash Point : 83°C
- Specific Gravity : 0.9494 at 25°C
- Refractive Index : 1.509 at 25°C
- Relative Index :
- Ester Value : 7.3 to 51.54
- Ester Value after Acetylation : 17.1 to 60
- Optical Rotation : 1.77 at 25°C
- Acid Number : 3.3 to 7.1
- Total Alcohol :
- Solubility : Soluble in ethyl alcohol
- Soluble in water : Insoluble
- Country of Origin : Nepal
- Uses :
- Packaging : 1Kg, 5 Kg, 10 kg, 25 Kg