- Phytochemical research has shown that grape seed oil has valuable importance due to its value in food preservation and value addition to consumers’ preferences.
- Grapeseed, an important member of the Rutaceae family is extracted using the solvent extraction method. It is rich in phenolic compounds, fatty acids and vitamins with economic importance to the pharmaceutical, cosmetic and food industries. It is suggested as an edible oil due to its pleasant sensory characteristics. Grapeseed oil has beneficial properties that are mainly detected by in-vitro studies. Grapeseed is a byproduct of the winemaking process and oil content is traditionally extracted using either an organic solvent or mechanical techniques. Cold pressing is the method of oil extraction that involves no heat or chemical treatment. The grape seed contains 8-20% of oil. Oil depends on the extraction techniques and type of solvent used.
- Linalool, thugene, myrcene, terpinene, pinene, citronellol, caprinaldehyde, decyl acetate and neryl acetate.
Benefits and uses
- Grapeseed oil has a positive effect on the lymphatic system and plays a major role in the detoxification mechanism and also helps to boost up the activity of lymph glands.
- It can control the problem of poor circulation, allergies, cellulite and fluid retention.
- Its antimicrobial effect is effective against various strains of bacteria like staphylococcus aureus, enterococcus faecalis, Salmonella typhimurium and Proteus Vulgaris.
- Vitamin C and its antioxidants property supports your immune system and help to fight against the disease.
- It prevents oxidation related damage such as premature ageing, the problem of macular degeneration, poor hearing, nervous system problems and many others.
- It helps to treat and prevent infections in wounds and cuts, eliminate microbes that develop in the kidney, gut and excretory system.
- It supports the endocrine system for its proper secretion of hormones and enzymes.
- It increases the production of gastric juice and bile and assists your digestive system.
- It has anti-depressant properties that provide a relaxing and uplifting feeling and has a stimulating effect on your brain, making you more alert.