- Hemp seed oil is extracted from the seeds of the hemp plant. The extraction occurs through cold-pressing, similar to the way that olives are cold-pressed to make olive oil. The seeds have a rich nutritional profile and provide a range of health benefits. Although hemp seeds come from the Cannabis sativa plant, they do not produce a mind-altering effect. These small, brown seeds are rich in protein, fiber, and healthful fatty acids, including omega-3s and omega-6s. They have antioxidant effects and may reduce symptoms of numerous ailments, improving the health of the heart, skin, and joints.
- omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids, gamma-linolenic acid, vitamins B and vitamin D.
Benefits and uses
- The seeds may have neuroprotective, anti-inflammatory, effects and may also help to regulate the immune system.
- Hemp seed oil is also useful in treating other skin conditions, such as cradle cap, psoriasis, and acne. In addition, hemp seed oil strengthens the skin and makes it better able to resist infection.
- The fatty acids in hemp seed oil may help balance the skin and prevent inflammation that can result in acne.
- Hemp seeds are rich in healthy fats. They have a 3:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3, which may benefit skin diseases and provide relief from eczema and its uncomfortable symptoms.