The enchanting Anthopogon, characterized by its aromatic and sociable shrubs, is widely spread across Nepal, thriving at elevations ranging from approximately 3200 to 4700 meters. The extracted essential oil, obtained through meticulous steam distillation of flowers and leaves from the Himalayan rhododendron, emanates an exquisite aromatic essence. This essential oil unfolds an exotic floral bouquet, leaving behind lingering sweet and fruity notes that capture the essence of the majestic Himalayas in Nepal.
Major Compounds and its properties
- 13-cadinene a major volatile component in the oil demonstrate larvicidal activity against the anopheles, a vector of malaria.
- Monoterpenes such as A-pinene, 13-pinene and limonene promotes weight loss and have anti-cancer properties.
- Sesquiterpenes dominated by trans-13-caryophyllene has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial property, A-murrolene act as an antioxidant, Y-cadinene and 6-cadinene is anti-fungal.
- Other components like A-thujene, camphene, 13-myrcene, p-cymene, cis-ocimene, trans-terpinene, A-copaene, A-humulene, allo-aromadrene , terpinene, linalool, citronellyl acetate has many therapeutic benefits.
Benefits and uses
- The pounded leaves and flower oil are used in stomach, liver and lung disorders, cold and cough.
- It helps to solve the problem of indigestion and cure skin diseases.
- It regulates thermogenesis in the body, purify the blood and promotes good circulation.
- It has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties due to which it can be used to neutralize the growth of microbes and different strains of bacteria.
- It contains a fragrance component so it can be used in cosmetics and perfumery.
- It is an effective decongestant and antispasmodic for the respiratory system.
- It is recommended for addition to shampoo formulations to moisturize the scalp and promotes luscious locks.
Methods of use
- Through smell: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice or apply a few drops to your hands or in clothes and inhale.
- Topical use: Dilute with a carrier oil to minimize any skin sensitivity and apply one to two drops on the desired area and do massage or rub in or add to lotion or moisturizers.
- Caution: If pregnant, epileptic, have cancer or have any medical problems use oils only under the proper guidance of a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. Keep your eyes away from the oil while using it otherwise it may lead to various complications to your eyes and be extra careful and keep it out of reach of children.